Upcycled Wall Sconce And Rake Head Bird Feeding Station

 Many moons ago at my old abode, I created a bird feeder from an old rake head.

DIY Bird Feeder Ideas

It was a huge success with my feathered friends!

(You'll find the original post HERE)

Attached to the top of a fence, loaded with fruit, the birds loved it.

As did the butterflies.

Since then, I've shifted to the Lake, so I found another old rake head, as my new home is teeming with birds that love to eat fruit and nectar.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station

 But this time I've set up the bird feeder with a few modifications.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station
And some fun rusty tin bird accessories.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station

Firstly, I dug a hole and placed a tall half-round post into it.

On top of that, the rake head that holds the fruit was attached with large-size nail staples.

I painted the post in Resene 'Scoria' paint. 

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station

In my stash, I had an old brass wall sconce.

It's not a French antique, but a Flemish Baroque Revival replica light that was popular in New Zealand and Australia in the 1970s.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station

I removed the old wiring, the fake candle drip holder and the screws holding the brass flower base.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station

Then I used a super strong glue that bonds metal to metal, and reattached the flower.

I left it overnight to dry.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station

 I glued small ceramic pots onto the brass flowers using the strong glue. Next, I screwed the wall sconce to the post.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station

The ceramic pots are full of sugar water.

My mixture is 1/2 cup sugar to 4 cups of warm water.

(Stir until sugar is dissolved).

Oranges cut in half were added to the rake spikes.

The birds also enjoy pears, apples, persimmons, kiwifruit, and mandarins too!

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station
These sweet, rusty tin birds are from the Temu online store.
DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station
I placed two more short pieces of wood (painted in Resene Scoria) to make a shelf for a potted plant, a bee water station and the ornamental birds.

DIY Bird and butterfly feeding station
It was only a matter of minutes before my first feathered visitor arrived!
These beautiful birds are Silver Eye, also known as a 'Wax Eye'.

They are native to the South West Pacific and were introduced to New Zealand in the 1800s.

How to make a bee water station

You might also enjoy creating an easy-to-make 'Bee Water Station'.

You'll find the instructions HERE.

DIY Wild Bird Food ideas

Best NZ Blogs

Or join via email updates for the latest blog posts HERE.

#diybirdfeeders #birdfeederideas 

No comments: