How To DIY A Birdcage Planter

I know!

This is a 'been there done that - everyone has blogged about it before' kinda thing.

But alas I have always wanted to make one of my own.

So here it is.

DIY Birdcage Planter

My version of a 'Birdcage Planter'.

DIY Birdcage Planter

I have had this ornamental birdcage for years, but it was always used to display a large candle inside.

Then it ended up in the garden with a pretty aqua pot inside that never got planted with anything.

It's currently mid-winter in New Zealand, so it's tricky to find a lot of colour in the form of annuals.

And also something that will withstand colder temperatures.

Cyclamen Plants

But the Garden Centre had beautiful miniature cyclamens flowering in all sorts of gorgeous colours.

Variegated Trandescandia

And I already had some Variegated Trandescandia plants (also known as Inch plants) ready to pot.

So I selected cyclamens that would compliment the burgundy-purple tones.

Tradescantia is a trailing, soft, hairless ground cover.

I remember my mother had a potplant of this variegated form when I was a child.  

The green form is considered a noxious weed now in New Zealand, as it grows a root from the smallest of nodes touching the ground, and it is found in a lot of the native bush here.

To Make:

DIY Birdcage Planter

The first thing to do is put a hanging basket liner into the bottom of the birdcage.

DIY Birdcage Planter

The bonus of this cage is it has a flip top with a catch, which made the task of placing the coconut fibre liner inside very easy.

DIY Birdcage Planter

Fill the liner with a quality potting mix.

DIY Birdcage Planter

Arrange and plant the plants inside.

DIY Birdcage Planter

I placed the cyclamens on a slight angle

DIY Birdcage Planter

 so the flowers and leaves peeped out the cage sides.

DIY Birdcage Planter

Place it in the garden or hang it if preferred.

DIY Birdcage Planter

I love it!

What a pretty upcycle of the birdcage.

Plus it is a big tick off the 'I want to do that list'!

.

Visit my 'Saatchi Art & Photography' store HERE

Original art store HERE


#birdcageplanter #diygardenplanters #trandescantia #cyclamens


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...