Upcycled Antique Frame Mood Board

Dating old frames

This beautiful old frame found me.

I love how things appear for you when they are meant to be yours!

The first thing I thought about upcycling it into was a mood board for my studio's little quotes and art inspirations.

But first, let's have a chat about this frame.

This is where I might need your help!

Is it Victorian? 19th century? Faux old? 

French? Replica?

Old frames

I spent many hours researching on Google to no avail.

There were many much more ornately decorated and gold-gilded ones in similar styles.  

But nothing quite the same as this frame is not overly ornate.

It's quite simple.

The style appears to be Rococo as it has asymmetrical shapes and motifs.

In the Rococo design, these are usually shells, flowers and foliage.

As this frame had damage to it, I could see it was gesso (pronounced 'Jesso') on wood.

Gesso in the old days was made by mixing chalk or gypsum, animal glue (usually from rabbit skin) and white pigment.

I believe this frame is very old.

It's age is a mystery.

What do you think?

Please share your thoughts.

In my mind's eye, the painting that once was housed inside the frame, was of elegant aristocrats in gorgeous clothing enjoying a picnic in a romantic scenic place.

I would have loved to see what that may have been.

But alas, I inherited just the worn and shabby chic frame.

Old Frame DIY Mood Board

It never crossed my mind to repaint it.

Its unique beauty 'as is' is undeniable.

Mia Bella Passions Blog

It also looks fabulous against the ply wall and with the green painted wall on the opposite side of the room.

DIY Old Frame Mood Board
DIY Old Frame Mood Board

To create the mood board, I recycled heavy cardboard, and cut it to size for the back.

Then cut cork tiles to fit the cardboard.

DIY Old Frame Mood Board

I used woodworkers PVA glue to attach the cork tiles to the cardboard.

Once the glue was dry, set it in the frame, reusing the original tabs on the back to hold it in place.

DIY Old Frame Mood Board

After covering the tabs with masking tape, I attached picture mechanisms and wire for hanging.

It's quite a heavy frame!

DIY Old Frame Mood Board

Then for the fun bit - adding arty images and quotes using pearl-head sewing pins.

DIY Old Frame Mood Board

Now it hangs in pride of place above my studio work desk, and I adore it!

Feel free to comment on the frame's heritage.

I'm keen to know more about its origin.

:)

Upcycled Frames

If you enjoyed this project, you might like the 

Upcycled Frame Jewellery Display

  For the latest posts JOIN  :)

#upcycling #oldframediy #diy

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...